Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's fermenting?

























Yesterday I decided to finally take the leap and start fermenting something in my kitchen.  Ever since learning that lemons could be pickled, I knew that they would be my first fermentation project.  There is something so enticing about the thought of pickled lemons.  It didn't take me very long to cut, salt, and pack the lemons and now I just need to wait a few weeks and let the lactic acid bacteria do their job.  On a side note, Little Ish thinks the lemon bag makes a fabulous mask.  He pulls it on and declares that he is "Salty the Macchia" (aka Jarrod Saltalamacchia, the catcher for the Boston Red Sox). 

5 comments:

  1. So what will you do with pickled lemons? I'm curious. Ish is so cute!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of them being used as a condiment when eating roast chicken which I plan to try. When I first heard about them though my first thought was that they would be a delightful addition to chicken salad or guacamole.

      Delete
    2. Mmmm! That sounds good! Let us know when you try out your finished product. I'd love to hear more!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Never heard of pickling lemons - you'll have to post how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll take a few weeks for them to be ready since it is a lacto fermentation and not a vinegar pickling. I'll definitely update on them.

      Delete