Friday, September 3, 2010

Reading List for August 2010

My reading list for August is anything but extensive.  I did however manage to complete one book. I would say that is pretty good given the fact that I have a 2 month old.

Reading List for August 2010

Water for Elephants: A Novel

Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen
This book came recommended to me by several different people so I had very high expectations for it.  I was not disappointed in terms of the quality of the writing, but I was a little taken aback by the loose and gratuitous use of sex and sexuality in the book.  The story and the authors facility with language are captivating; often times I felt like I was watching the story unfold instead of just reading about it.  One of the most enjoyable parts of Water for Elephants: A Novel was learning about circus culture.  I particularly took pleasure in learning some circus jargon. Although I enjoyed this book I can only recommend it to readers over 18 years of age.

Currently Reading:

 Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer & Jessie Wise

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to recommend to you a book, written by the family of a friend of mine. I can't recall if I mentioned it before, but the second book you're currently reading reminded me. Its called Homeschooling: A Family's Journey, by Martine and Gregory Millman. http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Familys-Journey-Martine-Millman/dp/158542661X

    ReplyDelete